Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Masters Of Illustration

A few weeks ago my husband surprised me. After tucking the kids into bed for the night I came downstairs to sit with my husband while he ate his dinner after arriving home from an extremely long day. The days have been long for both of us lately, and I gushed with excitement as if it were Christmas morning and Saint Nick had brought me a pony. Sitting on the table was Masters of Illustration by David Downton. I have been admiring his amazing talent for years and have scooped up every article, and book that talks about him. I took the book to bed with me that night and began reading it from beginning to end. What a treasure it is.

The book starts off with his favorite illustrators of fashion from about the 1800's through present time, ending with a wonderful collection by him. Its an illustrated look back at fashion it's history and where Mr Downton gets his inspiration and style from.

I myself, am struggling with a "new look" or creating a "better me" in my illustrations, and this book couldn't have arrived at a better time. I am working on a whole new set of subjects and a fresh look at inspiration and fashion is just what I need to keep my focus clear and moving a a beautiful direction.
You can see a bit of all the artists reflected in his amazing strokes and color. I don't want to give too much away, but this is a must for anyone who has a love for fashion/illustration and the magic that is David Downton.

No comments:

Post a Comment