Thursday, March 10, 2011

My Dad's a Birdman

I've been reading to my daughter for 4 years now, and yes, that means she is 4 years old. I purchased this book shortly after her 2nd Birthday and began reading her chapters after nap time in 2009 (2 years after the book was published). It was an absolute treat! Very imaginative, dreamy, funny and lovable. Even though it's a chapter book with few images, the text give enough color and illusion that anyone with an imagination can bring the story to life inside themselves. And my very imaginative 2 year old was no different. Since the first reading of the book at age 2, I have read it to her 2 more times. She absolutely loves the book.

It's a delightful story of a little girl named Lizzie and her very unusual dad and a very extraordinary competition.
But I am one to judge a book by it's cover and I must say this one says it's worth a read, so I couldn't resist buying it. I was a little worried that buying a chapter book with a scattering of illustraions might not be enjoyable to a 2 year old, but I was wrong. With only 17 chapters we had the book finished in less than 2 weeks. It was a quick read and each chapter was engaging and fun. As quick as you fall in love with the delightful illustrations you will fall in love with the charming story of determination, grief, strength, and love.

No comments:

Post a Comment